Monday 13 June 2011

So here we are

Hello all. Sorry for the delay in writing. The operation was a bit like being run over by a truck. Needed some rest for a while. Thanks to everyone who has sent good wishes.
I write this on the evening of my first day back at work, just under four months after the operation. The tumour was completely removed and was confirmed as benign. I am mostly healed up, still having physiotherapy on my sore neck and shoulder. Still recovering!
Going back to work will require some adjustment I think. On the one hand I still have all the knowledge and experience I had before. On the other, it's a bit scary. Weird.
Have been back at choir now for a couple of weeks. Even went on tour to Kiev (Ukraine, before you ask). That was a bit of a baptism of fire, but I made it. Proud to have done so, and not to have missed a tour yet. Everyone in the choir has been very kind and I appreciate it very much. They are a most excellent bunch. Talented too. Some truly extraordinary performances in Kiev. Elgar's "The Dream of Gerontius" at the Barbican next week looks set to be a corker.

Saw my physio today, Jean, South African lady. She's fab. She announced today that my neck is sufficiently good now to do some proper exercises. Up until now it's been too sore and stiff to do more than massage and manipulate it a lot and stretch it a bit. Some of the floor exercises today were quite tough and I suspect she noticed that I am clearly a stranger to exercise.
My spine st the base of the skull is stable, which is good. The pain, stiffness and such is all in the soft tissues (muscles), and so can be sorted out. Lots of work must ensue to build the neck muscles up. Of course, a couple of pieces of bone have been removed from the spine at the back of my neck (C1 & C2 Laminectomy), so it won't ever be quite as tough as it was. Contact sports are now out, so I'll have to kiss goodbye to my Rugby career. Likewise the Judo. Ho hum. I asked Jean about Bungee-Jumping. Sharp response - NO-ONE should EVER Bungee-jump. If you don't have a neck problem beforehand, you will afterwards. And then there are the cruciate ligaments in your knees...so you have been warned, people, don't do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment