Sunday 20 February 2011

Life Goes On - Day 1, Friday, 18th Feb 2011

It lives! (that's me). It has been exterminated! (the tumour).
Wake up in recovery at about midnight. Wasn't even aware of going to sleep. Nice chap explains that the op was a big success. I'm not with it.
Sometime later, moved to ICU. In a bed on my back. Neck totally stiff. Head enclosed in something. Rough night, all manner of mayhem going on. Still busy in the daytime too. One of those chaps playing at nurses looks after me. Good bloke, Ed, bit of a no-nonsense matronly attitude that I don't care for though. Doesn't he realise what I've been through?
My brother visits, along with Louise and Caroline. Great of them all but I am far, far from my best. I try to get a message out that I am not ready but it fails to stop Declan. I fear he found it all most upsetting. I know I did.
I feel better while John is there and I get into a chair while we plot the no visitors message. I eat and drink on cue like a Trojan to demonstrate how well I am. Darker later. Much.
Good news! That night I am moved to the High-Dependency Unit. It's not good news at all. Extremely black night. Looneys in the unit, and then there are the patients. No sleep, can't put head down because of neck. They want to take observations all the time round the clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment